Wednesday, October 10, 2007
CHIEFS OPPOSE BAIL FOR TELEKO-BOKAZO YOUTH
By: CLEMENT ADZEI BOYE, TAKORADI
First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Freddie Blay, has come under fire as chiefs in Nzema are kicking against his call for bail for the 37 youth arrested recently by the police in connection with the violence at Teleko-Bokazo and Anwia.
They say that the Member of Parliament for Ellembelle should allow the law to take its course.
The chiefs made their stand clear when the Nzema Manle Council met at Nsein on Monday to discuss the MP’s appeal for bail for rioters and also to assess the security situation at Teleko-Bokazo and Anwia.
The meeting was attended by the seven paramount chiefs from Nzema made up of Awulae Annor Adjaye III, president, Awulae Attribrukusu, president of the Western Region House of Chiefs, Awulae Blay, Omanhene of Teleko-Bokazoa and Anwia areas, Awulae Angama Tu Agyan of Gwira-Bamdan Kor and Awulae Agyefi Kwame III, spokesman.
The Chief of Teleko-Bokazo, Nana Afful Kwaw II and chief of Anwia, Nana Essimanle Kpanyili IV also attended the meeting. The Times gathered that since their arrest Mr Blay had been pleading for bail for the youth.
When the regional Security Council (REGSEC) visited Teleko-Bokazo and Anwia last Wednesday, Awulae Blay, reported that when the youth were arrested they boasted that, they are untouchable because the Deputy Speaker was behind them.
But, the spokesman for the Nzema Manle Council, Awulae Agyefi Kwame told the Times yesterday that the Regional Minister, Mr. A.E. Amoah, has rejected the Deputy Speaker’s pleas and they support him.
“We don’t agree with Mr. Blay who is also a lawyer. The courts are there and there is rule of law. Those seeking redress must go there”, he said.
He said that the two policemen –Lance Corporal Kingford Appiah and Constable Opoku Agyeman – brutally assaulted were performing a national duty and should be protected at all cost. “These men have families, they are responsible and came to help Nzema land. We will not condone this act.” Awulae Kwame stated “we appeal to the government to investigate the matter so that whoever is found to be culpable should face the law.
The Omanhene said so long as weapons belonging to the policemen were missing the security situation at Bokazo and Anwia was not safe.
He said that the police were still investigating the matter and they should go to the court and prove their case and for the court to decide whether those arrested were innocent or not.
On Sunday, September 30, the youth of Teleko-Bokazo and Anwia ambushed and attacked workers of Adamus Resources, a mining exploration company and two policemen.
The youth, now in police custody at Sekondi will appear in court on October 11.
The Ghanaian Times Wednesday, October 10, 2007 Page: 4