OTUMFUO URGED TO END IMPASSE AT KUMAWU
The youth of Kumawu have appealed to the Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, to intervene to end the impasse over the installation of a new Omanhene and restore calm to the area.
They said the appeal had been necessitated in the face of the growing anger and apprehension by majority of the people over what they claimed to be the abuse, lack of transparency and accountability in the sale, leasing of stool lands and other resources by the caretaker traditional authority.
The youth alleged that a palm plantation at Attakrom belonging to the traditional council had been sold together with the teak and other timber resources.
Besides, revenue made from ground rent on the erection of communication masts and royalties were unaccounted for.
Another source of concern, they said, was the absence of effective traditional leadership to partner the government to tackle the nuisance and lawlessness of Fulani herdsmen, who are making life miserable for people, particularly the farmers there.
The youth, led by Mr. Osei Kofi Akoto from Kumawu Wonoo, in a petition to the Asantehene at the Manhyia Palace last Tuesday, pleaded with him to cause an inventory to be taken and audit of all the assets of the traditional council.
Additionally, they asked for a ban on entry into the Kumawu Palace.
Oheneba Atweneboanda, the Hiahene, received the petition on behalf of Otumfuo Osei-Tutu.
Kumawu has been without a substantive Omanhene since the death of Barima Asumadu Sakyi IV, four years ago.
The nomination, selection and installation of a successor has been steeped in confusion and controversy.
Earlier, the youth staged a peaceful demonstration within the precincts of the Manhyia Palace and later presented a copy of their petition to the Ashanti regional Minister, Dr. Kwaku Agyemang-Mensah, in his office.
He told them to patient since efforts were being made to resolve the chieftaincy dispute peacefully. -GNA
Daily Graphic Page: 29 Monday, June 20, 2011